Thursday, January 11, 2007

So, the other day I took an action step and went to the Plainville, MA Town Hall. I was looking for one of the recycling bins I see out in front of peoples houses on trash day. We already had the sticker we needed. It had been laying around the house for a couple of years I think. I remember asking Lisa (my wife), "What is that thing" and she replied "That's the Recycling Sticker," and out of my mind it went. The big Blue Recycling Bins were on the right as you come through the front door. They were beautiful and just what I was looking for. Should I just take one, are they free? "Maybe I better check it out". So I poked my head into the first office I came upon, Deeds or something like that, and inquired, "What office would I go to with Recycling Questions"? The polite lady replied, " Just down the hall take a left it's the last office on the left". As it turned out it was the last office on the right, Environmental something or other. I wondered if that lady was stupid or whether I was wrong and she really said "on the right". I'll never know because I will never go back and ask her. In all likeliness what she said and what I heard were different, although her being wrong would help with my confidence in the area of mental health. As it all turned out, we, here in Plainville are not required to have a certain type of bin, basically you can use whatever you want as long as you show a sticker. Actually you can use more than one bin, as long as that ONE sticker is showing. They only require certain guidelines for what goes with what. The bottom line is that it's not rocket science and it only takes a small effort to achieve Recycling Status as a family. This all brings you closer to those that like to Save the Owls . I hope that doesn't offend your sensibilities. The Web Site I'm creating will have all this information and the certain nuances and requirements, fees, pick-up schedules and any other pertinent info relating to Recycling Efforts in your town and any other enerygy conservation efforts specific to your location.

As it turned out the Bin thing was the source of a heated debate between my wife and I. First, I told her we could use whatever we wanted. I would be happy to use a clear bin. She would be happy to use some sort of Designer Bin, with a lid, that you'd have to open up and place the trash in, every time you throw something away. After a bit of back and forth I said, "It's all yours do whatever you want", and I skulked off in defeat. I went off to the office for awhile to calm down. Upon my return, she had, in the kitchen, a rolling cabinet thing that had four separate clear plastic bins in it. That would be just fine, I'd already resolved myself to any extra effort it might take to achieve this goal. In this case opening a door and pulling out a sliding bin. Life would go on.

It's 33 degrees out, Thursday, January 11, 2007. More like Winter but I'm still not convinced!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that there is a market for recycling systems. Some extremely user friendly without any curb-style appeal and some while fully functional fit into your decor and even add a little extra to your kitchen.

I would also imagine that there is an opportunity for a Life Coach to step in and coach couples through the inevitable negotiations involved in making recyling a fun and effective part of each home and relationship!